Old Cambridge Baptist Church (OCBC) is a lay-led congregation. We welcome and encourage all members of our community to contribute to the life of the church by participating and serving on one of our ministry teams. Each team is led by a designated chairperson who also serves as a deacon.
- Spiritual Life Team - Chairs: Martha Collins and Maureen Power
- Pastoral Care Team - Chair: Ginny Wallace
- With the Pastor, we respond to the individual needs of church members, especially in times of personal distress (illness, death) and transition (birth, marriage). We coordinate visits, flowers, and notes, and provide more specialized support as needed.
- Membership and Outreach Team - Chair: Brian Greene
- With the Pastor, we work to build community within the congregation and organize our church's efforts in reaching out to the wider community of Cambridge and beyond. We oversee small groups at OCBC as we seek to fully engage and integrate all members into the life of the church. A major focus is on ministry to newcomers. We also maintain the church's website and coordinate all publicity and advertising for the church.
- Social Action Team - Chair: Betsy Sowers
- Christian Education Team - Chair: Kevin Henze
- Community Events Team - Chair: Sherri Tucker
With the Pastor and Music Director, we plan worship services (including the regular Sunday services), review recent services, and engage in spiritual centering. We also recruit and prepare preachers, liturgists, and other volunteers as needed.
We plan and lead the congregation in taking action on social justice issues. We develop recommendations for communion offerings and benevolences, and coordinate nominations for the annual Pauline Swift Award.
We plan Christian education experiences for children and youth, recruit and support teachers, and choose and order curriculum materials.
We organize community events such as hospitality after worship services and meals before congregational meetings. We also coordinate our annual Recognition Sundays.
Building and Long-Range Planning Team - Chair: Jim Wallace
With the Church Administrator, we oversee the use of the church building, including developing rental agreements and managing tenant relations. We also plan and schedule major renovations to the building and coordinate grant proposals to support them.
Finance Team - Chair: Doug Koch
With the Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, and other members selected by the Deacons Council, we maintain the church budget, conduct pledge campaigns, and manage the church's investments, real estate, and insurance.
Transition Team - Chair: Rev. Meg Hess
The function of the Transition Team is to work closely with the Interim Minister and the Deacons to accomplish the tasks of the Interim Period, to oversee the effective implementation of planning and work pertaining to these tasks, and to evaluate the Interim process at its ending. In general, the work of the Interim period is to reflect on where the congregation has been, assess its functioning in the present, clarify its vision and goals for ministry, and set priorities for moving into the future. When a congregation has a clearer sense of who they are, where they have been, and where they are going, then they will take that clarity into the process of finding an appropriate match for their ministry in a settled pastor.